Jan 22, 2012

"Conversation with Mystery Lady, Etta James"

In the summer of 1999, I was listening to a gorgeous, sultry & husky rhythm & blues voice while cleaning my pool hall in Upland, CA. I started this day out alone but after an hour or so, I was joined by a few employees and pool hall regulars, all under the age of 21. One in particular, a 18 year old employee, approached me and asked, "Who was this we were listening to?"Now this is were everything takes a twist from the norm because before I could otter an answer an 5 foot 9 inch, 16 year old blonde responded, "Mystery Lady: Songs of Billie Holiday" by Etta James. Needless to say my mouth dropped, I was totally stunned that a woman so young could so quickly show her familiarity with such a great (but 8 year old) album.

I realized that this conversation must go further and I have to explore the depths of this young lady's blues history. I would ask a questions and she would respond with the same answer, "I Love Etta James Voice." It didn't matter what I asked or who I was talking about, she some how related her answer and spun it back into the direction of Etta James.

After an hour of conversation which started with me looking at a young, hard rock, hip-hop, skateboarding, Daddy's Lil Southern Cali Girl, left me staring into the eyes of what not just I will described as a cool young woman but I also realized how much one artist can change the impression you have in every person. I do not remember the young lady's name but I can not think of Etta James without thinking of my friend and blues peer for life.

Etta James, At Last, You Will Be Greatly Missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment