Mar 2, 2010

The Evolution of the Home-Makers


Just recently I was watching television with a few friends and family members and saw something that I found disturbing but yet, entertaining. We were tuned-in to one of the more popular themed area house wife reality shows. It was very interesting but it also sparked a conversation about the role of the house wife, home makers or “stay at home moms” (as it is more commonly referred to in the new millennium). There was an obvious age divide in the room. My uncle and older male siblings seem to pine away with sinister grins of affection, reminiscing and remembering the days when every meal was awaiting them when they arrived home from a hard days work. The younger members of the room had no idea what they were talking about.

To the dismay of many of my older family members, the role of the "Marta Steward House-Wife" has been banished from American culture. As early as World War I, women have become more independent, free thinking individuals willingly to throw off the aprons and join the work force. Yet, we still have many that appreciate being home-makers. What I appreciate about many of these home-makers is their willingness to cast off the shackles of secondary citizenship and step into the arena of entrepreneurs and scholars. With the addition of internet access and the World Wide Web in most homes throughout the country, women are finding it far more easy to connect with the entire world in less than the time it takes to load the French coffee press and turn the flame on beneath the stainless steel stovetop kettle on any given Monday morning.
I have found myself involved in this conversation many times with people on both sides of the fence. Everyone has a view, and it seems as if everyone's view is somehow supported by political, religious and/or cultural stubborness, "that's the way it is, why fight it" traditional American standards (which seems to be the most shown in the fluency of generational age gaps).

I for one, love and support change. I also think that every revolution does not have to take place on the battlefields or in courtrooms, especially since there is this new fangled piece of machinery in most homes known as the computer.

Personally, I have nothing against Martha Steward as an individual. Although, I do not appreciate the character that she has broadcast into homes over the past few decades. I believe being the first teacher to your children is a wonderful concept but I also feel like it should be practiced in a contemporary setting. Husbands that work outside in the mean “rat race world” while “the little lady” stays home does not automatically translate to a lazy wife not working. I have come across many women who have started their own business from home and quite a few who our attending school or taking college classes online.

Recently I re-visited a small church that I attended as a child and found out quickly times had changed. Gone are the days of the house wives manning bake sales tables outside the church doors to raise money for one activity or another. Today my computer and entrepreneurial savvy sisters were organized, mobilized and creating an off-campus tutoring program directly linked thru the churches already existing website. They realized by using resources that were already paid for, they would not only save their individual time by not having to work in the kitchen but would also further promote a website that was already present but was not generating much traffic. Their forward thinking applied to yesterday’s guerilla ground promotion on high school and junior high campuses not only boosted their enrollment in the classroom but it was also elevating the awareness of all their church’s programs. I must admit, I really loved seeing progress and forward movement amongst my sisters.

This might sound a slightly weird but when I see progress like the before mentioned story, I immediately thank God for Oprah. Admittedly, I might only catch her show in its entirety about once or twice a week but since I also spend many afternoon hours stroking the keys of my laptop in my home office I refer to as the Dungeon. I also must keep the subtle sound and hypnotic flickering lights of the television going to break the dead silence of my monotone suburban surroundings. Now I have not always been a fan of my sister Oprah. We disagree often on many of her personal views but I loved her when she first aired. Wasn’t as compelled to watch during the late 90s but somehow her presence has worked its angelic magic back into my life. Point Blank... the sister is Astounding! To me she not only presents the definition of a powerful and beautiful woman but continuously invites guest on her show that range from doctors and college professors, paraplegics, multi-talented celebrity performers to self-made millionaire homemakers and exposes the world to well-rounded women of great power and accomplishment. I have personally witnessed the uplifting powers of her show on many folks directly. Her constant statements of encouragement to not stand still, and to step up and step out into the world, are not only motivating but should be basic law for those that are stuck in yesteryear’s bigoted class structure.

I think the more women that are willing to step into the new millennium roles of the modern home maker from stone age housewife will definitely make for a better tomorrow. We must free ourselves from the shackles of all “Ism” (Sexism, Racism, Ageism - age discrimination), and all stereotypes that are being heaped onto the backs of our brothers and sisters through-out the world. All Men and WOMEN are Created Equal and it is about time we start acting like it.

1 comment:

  1. Just received a cheque for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can get by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for filling paid surveys to set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete